Folia Horticulturae

Current issue content   Search      

Evaluation of some cultivars of zucchini for industrial processing. II. Zucchini pickles

Waldemar Kmiecik, Zofia Lisiewska

Department of Fruit and Vegetable Processing
Faculty of Agriculture, Agricultural University
Podłużna 3, 30-329 Kraków, Poland

Zucchini fruits 131-160 mm in length, Astra and Paskowana cultivars produced by Polish breeders and Storr's Green F1 and Greyzini F1, hybrids of Dutch origin, were evaluated as raw material for pickle production. In the fruit of zucchini pickles stored for 6 months the content of dry weight approximated to that in fresh fruit though, the losses in sugars reached 90%, of crude protein 33%, and of vitamin C 83%. The differences between cultivars in the content of chemical constituents of zucchini pickles amounted to 8% for dry weight, 21% for crude protein, 14% for total acids, and 35% for vitamin C. From the point of view of quality of zucchini pickles the most favourable chemical composition was shown by the cultivars Astra and Storr's Green F1. The pickles from all cultivars were at least of good quality but the best organoleptic traits were found for Storr's Green F1 and Astra.

Kmiecik W., Lisiewska Z., 1991. Evaluation of some cultivars of zucchini for industrial processing. II. Zucchini pickles. Folia Horticulturae III/3: 3-14.